Who can apply?
- Students in Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes of all disciplines are eligible to apply.
- Bachelor students must have completed at least two university years at the start of the scholarship.
- Students from Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and Ethiopia
What can be funded?
- Funding is provided for participation in language, regional studies and technical language courses offered by state or state-recognised German higher education institutions and language course providers affiliated with higher education institutions.
- Course providers and courses offered can be found on the DAAD website at: www.daad.de/hsk-kursliste.
- The courses are taught exclusively in German.
Duration of the funding
- The courses have a duration of at least 18 teaching days (max. 5 days/week, excluding arrival and departure days) with at least 25 teaching hours per week each.
- The scholarships cannot be extended.
- The courses usually take place in the months ofJune to November.
- One-time scholarship payment of 1,061 euros; scholarship holders from the “Least Developed Countries” receive a scholarship in the amount of1,236 euros.
- Payment of a country-specific travel allowance (exception: Western Europe), see: travel allowance.
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance benefits.
The course fees and accommodation costs are usually deducted directly by the language course provider from the scholarship benefits to be paid out, so that the scholarship holder may “only” receive the difference to the full amount from the course provider.
The above-mentioned scholarship benefits (including the flat-rate travel allowance) are not transferred abroad.]
- A selection committee reviews applications
- Key selection criteria are:
– the academic achievements to date
– a convincing motivation with regard to studies and subject selection
To apply and to find out more about application procedures please click here
Proof of language proficiency for HSK
If you do not have a current language certificate (maximum 2 years old), you can:
Take an onSET language test (in Kenya) or
take part in a language test via online interview (approx. 15 minutes).
Candidates from Ethiopia please contact Ms. Jenny Stark (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 19 November 2021. There will be no interview appointments after 25 November 2021.
Candidates from Kenya please contact Ms. Jenny Stark (email@example.com) before 17 November. The onSET will take place on 19 November 2021.
Candidates from Uganda and Burundi please contact Ms. Rebekka Junker (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 12 November 2021. There will be no interview appointments after 23 November 2021. The online interviews will take place in week 46 (November 15-19).